Success Storiesclick here for more
UNIFORM & KIT ISSUED TO THE U.S. ARMY & MARINE CORPS DURING WW2
This pictorial library is devoted to the recording of "Uniform and Kit" issued to an American Soldier of the United States Army and the U.S. Marine Corps, during the Second World War. Consider it a virtual "Q" Store in U.S. militaria. It is not exhaustive and will be added to over time. Any reader who wishes to contribute photographs and text will be recognised and credited with such information. I also invite collectors of other nation's militaria to forward content (please see our other countries listed on the drop down menu) - so that a comprehensive list of "Axis" and "Allies" uniform/kit is detailed.
THIS WEBPAGE IS CONSTANTLY BEING ADDED TO - SO PLEASE VISIT AGAIN
Relic Condition U.S. Army Waterbottles
Relic condition U.S. Army waterbottles located at Buna on the north east coast of New Guinea. As can be seen, the aluminium alloy of these water bottles have not survived the corrosive conditions of the harsh tropical climate.
The privately owned museum which houses these relics is located in an area which became known as "The Triangle". This locality is to the east of the Girua River, but south of the Buna Government Station. The name was derived from a Japanese defensive line consisting of mutually supporting (reinforced) bunkers and weapons pits in the shape of a rough triangle, with the point facing south, towards the advancing American Infantry. Elements of the U.S. 126th Infantry Regiment and the 128th Infantry Regiment (U.S. 32nd Division) launched an attack on this area on the 24th of November, 1942 and the fighting here was intense.
The tropical heat evident in this area (particularly in November through to January) is intense. No doubt, troops were greatly affected by this weather and a single water bottle would not have been sufficient to maintain a healthy hydration level during this action; especially in the stifling conditions magnified by the kunai grass.
U.S. M1910 Water Bottle Cover
U.S. M1910 Water Bottle Cover. Made from cotton/canvas with patented "lift the dot" fasteners - this waterbottle cover is fastened to the Pistol Belt by way of a metal wire stay, bent to shape. This wire stay then feeds through the holes provided on a M1936 Pistol Belt.
U.S. Cups Canteen handle - Huggins Road Block - Sanananda
A relic metal handle from a U.S. Army 'Cups Canteen' which was found on the Second World War battlefield of Sanananda in New Guinea. This handle formed part of the United States Army drinking cup that fitted to the outside of the standard U.S. waterbottle. (PLEASE REFER TO THE PREVIOUS IMAGE). The handle was fastened to the body of the aluminium cup by way of a hinge. This allowed the steel handle to pivot outwards and lock into place by way of a slide which rendered the handle usable. When not in use, the slide could be unlocked and the handle folded back - so as to fit flush around the base of the cup and click into place for storage (this allowed the whole assembly of waterbottle and cup to fit snugly inside the cotton canvas carrier, which in turn was attached to the pistol belt).
This style of cup was also used by the Marine Corps and other ground units. The design exists to this very day with modern armies, clearly showing the soundness of the design.
This particular handle was located by Papuan guides in the Kunai grass, on what was once the wartime Sanananda Road in 1942; in the vicinity of the Killerton Track Junction (north east coast of New Guinea). Just to the north, lies the Huggins Roadblock which was established during very hard fighting in November of that year. Huggins Road Block was established around the 22nd of November, 1942 when American Infantry from the 126th Regiment, 32nd Division cut across the Japanese Lines of Communication which led back to Sanananda Village. When the American Commander, Captain John. D. SHIRLEY was killed in action, the position was taken over by Captain Meredith M. HUGGINS and the position bore his name from that point on. The U.S. 163rd Regiment of the of the U.S. 41st Division also served at a later time, in the Sanananda area and so it is likely that this relic once belonged to a soldier of either one of these units.
U.S. Emergency Drinking Water
Emergency Drinking Water in a can, packaged by the Continental Can Company Incorporated. Although generally associated with aircrew and Naval personnel for use in life rafts / survival packages etc, it should be noted that the United States Army also operated an 'Air Force'. It is also possible that this type of resource found it's way to ground troops on a limited basis, depending on their area of operations. This particular can was packaged during March of 1944.